the linguistic left

kelley oudies at flash.net
Mon Nov 1 11:17:32 PST 1999

oh what a load of horsehockey. there is a relationship between forma and context no? or did you drop the dialectic at the door when it comes to that issue? furthermore, when someone resorts to cheap tactics in order to engage in arguement *that* matters. in other words, suggesting that if you read habermas or kant, etc you must support dodgy political strategies and yet the person making the accusations has reand at least one of the above fairly thoroughtly. no one's asking yoshie to, figuratively speaking, smile pretty and wear her best suit, we're suggesting that she doesn't even bother to look us in the eyes, figuratively speaking. is that style? no. it common human courtesy. and to expect that from someone who rallies around the call for list civlity and politeness is simply expecting some kind of consistency.

it's a cheap shot to argue guilt by association. and it's a cheap shot to read into ysomeone's argument all sorts of things that aren't there. and unfortunately this is what is going on. if you all think that it's appropriate to talk to people this way, well lots of luck getting anyone organized and on your side. and i'm NOT arguing for patronizing, condescending [mean the same thing chaz] nicey nicey group hug nonsense either. i am though arguing for a discussion style that presumes that your interlocutor is worthy of your respect on some level. for if you can't indicate that in your styles and tone, then why bother? why bother arguing wwith someone you've written off from the beginning. why bother unless you like fucking their dead skeltons. the necrophelia is a bit much.

it is all just about getting your jollies at others' expense? because that's the message i'm getting lately.

and yes i get my jollies at other's expense on occasion, but is precisely because all i see lately is systematica dismissals of everyone that i can no longer take anyone seriously.

as cranky as you can be carrol, i rarely see you do this and why i take you seriously more often than not.

kelley