it's the Science vs. Ideology show

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Nov 1 01:15:17 PST 1999

At 01:11 2/11/99 +1100, you wrote:
>catherine wrote:
>
>> i thought i was just being accused of being stupid for not agreeing with
>> yoshie's take on foucault -- which is kind of different, or at least it
>> ought to be
>
>not when you conflate error, ideology and stupidity in a defense of the
>true kernel of the truly scientific it ain't.
>
>speaking of ideologies, which one are you going to be caught in this
>saturday: the xenophobic merchant capital patriotism of the 'yes' campaign
>or the hokey de tocquevillian populism of the 'no' campaign?

it's sad it's tragic it's probably distubingly revealing but i'll vote yes i have been fortnate to haev avoided as much of the yes ad campaign as possible because i know i just know how compromised it will make me feel

why yes it woudl be naive in the extreme to say because my founding moment of political consciousness is the dismissal and i cannot shake the idea that demolishing the governor general is an inherently good thing, but there's some truth in that do i have a better reason? i'm not sure. i have other reasons, but an awful lot of them are about ingrained cultural positioning -- about childhood positioning even -- we are not monarchists, we are not rulign class, the gov. general is evil, England is bad and we will always be bad while we're tied to it, those sorts of things -- just as populist as anything kerry jones can produce i've spent quite a bit of time in the last week trying to drag a more sophisicated position out of myself on the issue (and as i said above i can not blame the ad campaigns) and i don't know that i have one i am beginning to expect the referendum is about ingrained cultural positioning

so in fact perhaps i'd like to talk about it but i'm stuck on one question -- why vote no?

Catherine