'jouissance' (was Re: Force & Truth (was Re: litcritter bashing...))

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Nov 3 06:16:53 PST 1999

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca wrote:

[snip]

> "The ethical limits of psychoanalysis coincide with the
> limits of its practice." - Lacan, Seminar VII
>
> Analysis is a praxis of jouissance, and jouissance is
> anything but practical. It ignores the needs of capital,
> health insurance companies, socialized health care, public
> order, and mature relations. While therapists in our
> society are expected to interact with their patients in
> ways that are considered by dominant contemporary social,
> political, and psychological discourses to be for their own
> good, analyts act instead so as to further their
> analysands' Eros. That aim is constitutive of the praxis
> that is psychoanalysis.

Just a quick question of clarification:

Is this 'jouissance' is in a way akin to the thing that Marx meant when he replied, in response to a question about 'what is human nature': 'struggle'? Like 'desire'?

And Lacan puts central to the subject this 'jouissance'? (As opposed to say, Jung, who develops an language of mythology to put in the heart of the mind)

Peter -- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower. - Karl Marx

NOTE: I do not speak for the HGMP or the MRC.