Force & Truth (was Re: litcritter bashing...)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 3 11:04:26 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Nope, not Russell. For me, the point of interest in the quote is the
> notion of "truth" existing apart from our thoughts of "truth," in the
> light of claims about the impossibility of truth claims.

A "truth" claim, I would assume, is an assertion of a relation between our thought and something else. Describing that relation (or those relations) seems endlessly difficult, but everyone lives every second of their life affirming that the relationship exists. That is why it has always seemed to me that the best response to sceptics was to ignore their existence -- on the basis that they *really* (as sceptics) don't exist.

Carrol