Retrofitting "Henwood before Butler" (was Re: Force &Truth...)

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Thu Nov 4 12:57:45 PST 1999

The first time I ever encountered the term postmodern was in a mid-1970's discription of the buildings designed by Michael Graves. I have also seen some of the later designs of Robert Venturi and Philip Johnson described as postmodern.

I'm pretty sure architecture and design is the home of the term postmodern. Expressing where modern architecture departs from the formal lines of a Walter Gropius or the formal curves of a Le Corbusier.

TL