Inverse Dialectic?

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 4 17:50:21 PST 1999

On Thu, 04 Nov 1999 13:21:54 -0500 Shawn McHenry <shood214 at digital-link.net> wrote:

> I'm, unfortunately, not very versed in Hegelian philosophy and because I
go to a small university, in the PA State System, I don't really have anyone to ask. Could someone on this list explain to me what he means by an "inverse dialectic" or point me in the direction of another book, perhaps some sort of terminology guide (most continental philosophers that I've attempted to read are opaque because I don't understand the terms)or whatever, that might help me out (or both). Thanks, Shawn

Not sure about an "inverse dialectic" - sounds almost mysterious as a negative dialectic. However - I'd recommend Herbert Marcuse's Reason and Revolution for an intro to Hegel and social theory. I'd follow this up by Murray Bookchin - Towards and Ecological Society (esp. if you have tendencies toward anarchism).

ken