Daewoo's $73-bn debt

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Nov 5 09:22:12 PST 1999

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> > What are the
> >social implications of this massive government bail out of the bosses
> >going to be?
>
> What do you mean by social implications? Will the Korean working
> class rise in rebellion as a result of the bailout? What's the
> choice? No bailout and debt deflation? Nationalization? Worker
> control?

I'm less interesting in the big picture of whether there is going to be a seizure of workers' power in South Korea (I doubt it), than I'm interested in anyone's sense of the political 'temperature' - is the bailout going to put lots of pressure on government spending? Are cuts in government spending likely to heighten instability?

Peter -- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower. - Karl Marx

NOTE: I do not speak for the HGMP or the MRC.