glass steagall

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Nov 5 11:56:21 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> The S&L bailout was a foretaste of
>what we could be in for after Glass-Steagall.

Because the S&Ls were allowed, unsupervised, to do business in areas about which they knew nothing. I said it's how they're regulated that matters. Doug

In principle we could allow crazy people access to bazookas. With proper regulation there would be no ill effects.

One way to regulate is to simply deny banks the power to go into certain areas. This is much simpler than trying to micro-regulate, so to speak.

mbs