glass steagall

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Nov 5 16:02:33 PST 1999

>I assume eliminating the glass steagal restrictions will create stronger
>financial firms. What benefits of this should the left endorse?

Who said anything about benefits? I think the heavy breathing about it is way overdone, and the theoretical arguments against it aren't very persuasive. If there's a left position on institutional arrangements in finance, I think it'd be to create public and cooperative institutions capitalized through a tax on the big guys. Doug

Another little point: separating banking from investment via regulation is not the same as reducing concentration, tho there could be some relationship.

mbs