Chechnya - a far off country

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Fri Nov 5 20:57:10 PST 1999

Chris Burford wrote
>Yes, if I remember correctly, unlike the South African Communist Party, and
>Chomsky, you were not in favour of the west interfering financially to
>support the people of East Timor.

Sorry, I'll check out the general line next time before I comment.

>You think the people of East Timor should be left to be crushed, like the
>people of Chechnya.

No, but I don't think the West will play any positive role there either and nor (for what it's worth) should we give it carte blanche to interfere.

>Well the west is interfering whether you like it or not. The question is
>which way does it lean.
>
>The idea that an opinion here broadens the Western options is idealism
indeed.

Probably. However, the role of the lapsed left in providing cover for new-style Western "humanitarian" intervention around the world is unfortunately quite real.

Russell