the australian constitutional thingy

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Mon Nov 8 17:16:57 PST 1999

catherine wrote:

> not straightforwardly though

yes. nothing is straightforward.

> which would be to say there wasn't an expressed working-class position on
> the referendum, is that what you mean
> i think i'm saying i think there were quite strong claims to identity in
> voting no... which is why such a huge percentage of the working class did
> vote no
> because they did identify precisely interests in common
> even though those were defined entirely negatively (our interests are
> whatever their's are not)

yes! the working class existed only as negation. and i don't think this is at all a bad thing. i think it is a question of institution. and here, there was no institutional basis for working class identity.

and i think the referendum has to be seen in this light. given there was no constitutional or legal reason to have the referendum, its effects were always intended to provide a kind of ideological closure: to either attend to what was perceived as the unfinished business of the 20th C (the democratic imperative, the republican impulse) or to simply assert a national identity befitting the framework of the new world order. this was supposed to be the means by which the working class was delivered an identity pre-packaged to re-connect 'the masses' to 'the elites' post-One Nation, the desertion of the 'ALP heartlands', etc. and it was a dismal failure.

the question is whether or not the working class is tempted by a promise to remove/deflect the antagonisms of capitalism by going for eachother. i thought peter's comments (below) on border controls and work time were right on the mark: to assert an internationalist working class emphasising the division between necessary labour and surplus value. sections of the euro left seem to have focussed themselves on this in a way we haven't here. work time has become more important with the change in leadership of the ACTU; but borders, well... a long way to go with that one.

Angela _________