Chechnya - a far off country

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 11 06:45:36 PST 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>You have no idea what global civil society is, without being aware you are
>participating in it now. You are like the bourgeois gentilhomme who does
>not know he is speaking prose.
>
>In short terms, I am coming from a Gramscian perspective. You appear to be
>coming from some sort of unreconstructed Trotskyist perspective.

Chris, perhaps you could explain what "globl civil society" is, and how it differs from the fairly unappealing picture that Hegel and Marx painted of "civil society." My impression is that Gramsci was talking about a working class civil society, so perhaps you could also explain how the working class is represented at the UN (beyond the fact that it's uniformed members of the working class who put their lives at risk in peacekeeping operations).

Doug