Henwood vs. Cockburn

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 11 09:50:29 PST 1999

Doug wrote:
>If Pollitt's silence was a crime - or a mistake, or an oversight, or
>whatever you want to call it - then certainly she wasn't the only
>guilty party. It might have been interesting to analyze why some
>American feminists made an alliance with censors and witch-hunters in
>the 1980s - though Pollitt wasn't a member of that school, and their
>numbers have dwindled severely in the 1990s. But that would have been
>a different piece from the kinds of ad hominem flames that Cockburn
>seems to specialize in these days. What was the point in devoting
>thousands of words to her and no one else? Does he really think her
>influence is that awesome? If he thought so, then his ten-year
>failure to urge her to write on the topic is a pretty serious lapse.

As for 'oversights,' has Cockburn ever written about feminism or issues important to gender equality? I mean in a context _other than_ mocking some feminists as softies, liberals, Clinton flaks, etc. & implying _all_ feminists are _like that_? Isn't it time for someone to call Alex C to task on this score?

Yoshie