Kosovars Gained Autonomy with Fewer Losses than Expected (RE: Latest on Kosovo death toll

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Thu Nov 11 10:19:55 PST 1999

I really don't understand why Nathan et al are so desperate to whitewash NATO's splendid little war. So far, the number of civilians murdered by NATO's terror bombing and Serb paramilitaries appears to be roughly the same; note that ICTY does not tell us how many of those 2,000 bodies can be classed as Albanian civilians killed by Serbs. This analysis from stratfor about the non-report issued by ICTY seems right on target:

he ICTY's interim accounting is a step in the direction of uncovering what really happened. But many outstanding issues remain unresolved.

It is not clear from del Ponte's briefing if the bodies found so far are all the victims of Serb atrocities, combatants, Serb troops killed in NATO raids or some combination. Since many were killed in the fighting between Serbs and KLA during the war and, according to NATO, many Serb troops were killed in the bombing campaign, the location of bodies does not, by itself, explain how many of those killed were the

victims of Serb war crimes.

Using the evidence obtained by forensics teams, The ICTY must now determine how many of those killed died at the hands of the Serbs. This report does not shed any light on that question. We would expect

more information to be available shortly, since presumably forensic

teams have already provided the ICTY with a great deal of information on that subject.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique