microradio

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 11 11:32:13 PST 1999

[bounced for an address oddity]

From: sbond at cromor.com Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:17:26 -0500

Hi. I'm normally a lurker on the list, but in my non-virtual life have been very active in trying to get low-power FM legalized. The FCC's extended comment period on the issue ends Monday. I'm hoping some of you may have time to act on this before the deadline. Thus, I'm rebroadcasting to you a FAIR action alert from this past July. Micro-radio would be a huge step in offering a community voice to the people. Please take action. Thank you!

FAIR ACTION ALERT: Join the Campaign to Legalize Microradio

The Federal Communications Commission is currently seeking public comment that would end the agency's long-standing ban on low-power (or "micro") radio.

Microradio is currently an illegal form of radio broadcasting, which takes advantage of unused radio spectrum to broadcast low-watt transmissions. Microradio has the potential to be an ideal, low-cost form of community media.

The FCC is seeking public comment until Monday, November 15th on a proposal to create new regulations that would legalize this sort of broadcasting. Legalization would protect microbroadcasters, while at the same time ensuring that microradio signals do not conflict with other spectrum users.

Support for increasing the public's access to the airwaves has come from individuals and organizations from across the political spectrum. But a campaign has formed to lobby against microradio, largely the work of the National Association of Broadcasters, an industry group.

That is precisely why public input on this matter is so valuable.

There are three different ways to contribute to this effort:

1) Sign on to a letter endorsed by Noam Chomsky, Barbara Ehrenreich, Howard Zinn and FAIR's Janine Jackson at: http://artcon.rutgers.edu/mec.html 2) Read and endorse the formal comments on the FCC Proposal from the National Lawyer's Guild's Committee on Democratic Communications: http://www.nlgcdc.org/99-25.htm 3) Join the Microradio Empowerment Coalition: http://www.nlgcdc.org/mec/index.html The establishment of noncommercial, locally owned and operated media outlets represents one way that activists can actually change the shape of the media landscape.

For more information, please read a CounterSpin transcript featuring Peter Franck from the National Lawyers Guild's Committee on Democratic Communications and Barbara Olshansky from the Center for Constitutional Rights: http://www.fair.org/counterspin/micro-transcript.html !

!