Fwd: FAIR's CounterSpin Once Again Censored by a Pacifica Station

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Thu Nov 11 13:06:31 PST 1999

On a personal basis, I'm surprised to hear Mark Bevis being trashed so. Can't defend his statements over the last decade, but when I worked closely with him from 1985-89 (including fairly militant anti-apartheid protest, as well as radio news) I always found him full of integrity. His social-anarchist politics (a fairly serious current in Baltimore) and his radical instincts as a journalist were amongst the most interesting in that Pacifica news shop.

On 11 Nov 99, at 11:03, jf noonan wrote:

Date sent: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:03:47 -0600 (CST) From: jf noonan <jfn1 at msc.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Fwd: FAIR's CounterSpin Once Again Censored by a Pacifica Station Send reply to: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

> On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > FAIR News Release - FAIR News Release - FAIR News Release
> >
> > For Immediate Release: Contacts:
> > November 10, 1999 Steve Rendall <mailto:srendall at fair.org>
> > Rachel Coen, <mailto:rcoen at fair.org>
> >
> > CounterSpin Once Again Censored by a Pacifica Station
> >

> And here is Mark Bevis' note in response to a mail sent to PNN.
> Note that Bevis is "acting producer" since Coughlin's
> "re-assignment" and also note that one of the things I find so
> endearing about him is the way he refers to the PRC is as
> "communist China", a locution I am more accustomed to hearing
> from Rush Limbaugh than I am from a purportedly progressive
> newscast. Even the Dan, Peter, Tom crew don't drag out this
> tired old whore anymore.
>

> <begin include>
>

> TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.
> DATE NOVEMBER 5, 1999
>

> WE (80% OF THE STAFF AT PACIFICA NETWORK NEWS) HAVE SERIOUS CONCERNS OVER THE
> EFFORT TO REINSTATE DAN COUGHLIN AS PRODUCER OF PNN.
> ALTHOUGH OUR REASONS ARE DIVERSE, THEY GO FAR BEYOND THE CONFLICT TAKING PLACE
> AT PACIFICA STATION KPFA IN BERKELEY.
> INTERFERENCE IN OUR INTERNAL AFFAIRS IS NOT WELCOME
>

> MARK BEVIS
> JOSEPH GILL
> LAURA IIYAMA
> DON RUSH
>
> <end include>
>

> --
>
> Joseph Noonan
> jfn1 at msc.com

Patrick Bond (Wits University Graduate School of Public and Development Management) home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094, Johannesburg office: 22 Gordon Building, Wits University Parktown Campus mailing address: PO Box 601 WITS 2050 phones: (h) (2711) 614-8088; (o) 488-5917; fax 484-2729 emails: (h) pbond at wn.apc.org; (o) bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za