Driving (was Henwood vs. Cockburn)

Christine Peterson quintanus at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 19:10:16 PST 1999

> > I don't like driving -
> > it's so boring but it still demands all your attention. I'd rather
> > ride on a bus.
> >
> > Doug
> >

>This is something that always interests me - it seems to be endemic among
>lefty types. While I am fully aware of the negative environmental and
>social impacts of the automobile, I must confess I do love driving.

I'm mixed. Sometimes it makes no sense to do the 'liberal' environmental thing and care intensely about the origin of ingredients in your food and recycling every little thing and walking to the store when there are people with institutional power who are more than counteracting your little deeds, every second. I hate driving around Berkeley. This statistics post-doc at UC Berkeley panic sold me his car for $500 when he had to move in two days and it failed the smog check-but the person at the garage was just trying to rip us off with a false reading and I could recognize that. My boyfriend just get diagnosed as epileptic yesterday, so they took away his driver's license pretty much eternally, and are making him give up chocolate and coffee. He might get a free BART pass, which makes him almost happy. But imagine living almost anywhere else. His parents are mennonites from Jamestown, N.D. Imagine living there and not being able to drive to Fargo 80 miles away. You'd have to be really religious.