[Fwd: Re: progressive elements of the big bourgeoisie]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Fri Nov 12 09:51:39 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Nathan Newman wrote:
>
> >Pat Buchanan is
> >seeking this exact alliance - bringing on Lenora Fulani as co-chairwoman for
> >this exact gambit - and the basic coalition agreement is exactly based on
> >that anti-third world worker position: anti-immigrant, English-only, and
> >trade protectionist.
>
> Actually, I think Buchanan is interested in Fulani & Co.'s mastery of
> state ballot laws, not her constituency, which is microscopic.
>
> Doug

yes, there's been a lot of reporting recently (in the Nation, and many other places) about how Buchanan and his sister Bay use his presidential runs to rake in vast sums of money. Fulani is a major nut case, connected to a tiny therapy cult (a split off of the neo Sullivanians, if you remember them from the 1970s)-- but she knows how to work the campaign finance angles.

I don't think ideology has much to do with it -- it's basically a scam.