Populism as Masquerade (was Re: Henwood vs. Cockburn)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 13 15:13:57 PST 1999

Michael Yates wrote:

>On the other question raised in connection with the exchange among Doug,
>Cockburn, et. al. concerning militias, populism, etc. let me say a few
>words from experience. My youngest brother is what some might call a
>raving lunatic: sees conspiracies everywhere, lives in the woods, owns
>guns, thinks Y2K may lead to chaos in the streets, etc. But he is most
>definitely not a racist or an anti-semite (two of our nieces are black,
>for which fact his own health and life have been threatened more than
>once).

I really want to underscore the fact that I don't think that militia members and their fellow travelers are racists or crypto-Nazis or any of that, whatever AC inventively says about me borrowing my worldview from Morris Dees. Some are, some aren't, and it does no good to demonize the whole lot. I'm more worried about the racists and crypto-Nazis in Congress and the Yale Club.

Doug