November 30 1999

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Sat Nov 13 21:58:44 PST 1999

AFL-CIO WTO Mobilization Alert - Please circulate widely 11/9/99

TO: Union Members and Community Allies RE: Nov 30 Peoples' Rally & March - Schedule, March Route, Getting

There FR: Ron Judd, King County Labor Council, AFL-CIO

WTO Action Team 104525.2422 at compuserve.com 206-448-4888

GET THE DAY OFF for the PEOPLE'S RALLY & MARCH on TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 30

In November, U.S. negotiators will meet in Seattle with trade ministers and heads of state from across the globe to make decisions which will govern world trade and investment for decades to come. The AFL-CIO and allied organizations in the religious, environmental, human rights, consumer, fair trade and student communities have organized what promises to be the biggest rally and march ever held on international trade issues in the U.S. The event will be held on November 30th, the opening day of the World Trade Organization's Ministerial meetings in Seattle. We will call on trade representatives and heads of state to stop the headlong rush toward trade liberalization until rules are established which protect workers and their communities, the environment, public health, and consumers.

MAKE the GLOBAL ECONOMY WORK for WORKING PEOPLE!

For more information: Call 206-448-4888 http://www.wslc.org/wto http://www.aflcio.org/wto/ _____________________________________________________________

SCHEDULE for NOVEMBER 30th PEOPLE'S RALLY & MARCH :

Gates Open at 8 a.m. at the Seattle Center's Memorial Stadium

Rally begins at 10 a.m.

March begins at 12:30 p.m.

The agenda for the Rally has not yet been announced, but we do know this: The Rally begins at 10 a.m. and will feature international speakers from union, religious, environmental, fair trade, consumer, human rights and student communities. There will be music by Sweet Honey and the Rock.

Several groups are assembling outside Memorial Stadium then marching in togethor. For example, the Sierra Club is taking the lead in assembling environmentali sts at Denny Playfield and then marching to the Stadium at 9:30 am (for more info contact kathleen.casey at sierraclub.org 206-378-0114 ext 306).

MARCH:

The march into downtown will start from Seattle Center's Memorial Stadium at 12:30 p.m. taking 5th Ave. North to 4th Ave., east to Pine St. north to 9th St. (one block from the Washington State Convention & Trade Center); west one block to Olive Way; south to 5th Ave.; and then west on 5th back to the Seattle Center.

We will have 900 marshals to make sure the march goes smoothly and peacefully. We are encouraging everyone to bring their children. ____________________________________________________________

GETTING THERE:

OUT-OF-TOWN BUSES:

The AFL-CIO has 25 Fulltime Mobilization Coordinators covering Southern BC, the Northwest, and National areas. We now have close to 100 buses that have been pledged by Central Labor Councils, International & Local Unions for union members and retirees and community allies. We expect to bring on more buses in the final mobilization push, but seats are filling fast.

Contact the AFL-CIO Mobilization Coordinator in your area about bus transportation. Find the Coordinator for your area by calling 206-448-4888 or go to http://www.wslc.org/wto/map.htm for a complete list.

OUT-OF-TOWN CARS

Carpool if you can. Meet your friends at Park & Ride Lots and head on down to Seattle Center. For a list of Park and Ride Lots go to: http://transit.metrokc.gov/parknride/parknride.html

As you approach the Seattle Center, transportation marshals will direct you to available parking areas near the stadium. The AFL-CIO has secured all available parking lots and garages in the Seattle Center Area.

Routes to Seattle Center's Memorial Stadium:

>From Northbound & Southbound I-5:
(Follow signs to "Seattle Center" & "Key Arena")

-- Take the Mercer Street exit (Exit #167) (Going N/B the exit is from the left lane of I-5) -- At the bottom of exit, turn right onto Fairview Ave. N (buses coming off of N/B I-5 will need to move over one lane to the right in order to make this turn) -- At next signal turn left onto Valley Street (Three lanes actually go to the left, the bused should be in the two left lanes--stay out of the right lane) -- Continue straight through next signal onto Broad Street (buses should move over into the right lane once they cross Westlake Ave. N.) -- Turn right onto Harrison Street (First right after underpass) -- Turn right onto 5th Ave N. -- Turn right onto Mercer Street

Heading Southbound on 99 (Aurora):

-- Take the Broad Street exit -- At the stop sign turn right onto Harrison Street -- Turn right onto 5th Ave. N. -- Turn right onto Mercer Street

METRO BUSES

Metro will add buses to Seattle Center Routes based on demand. For bus routes & schedules go to: http://transit.metrokc.gov/ or call 206-553-3000.

IN-TOWN ALTERNATIVES

- Park downtown at the Pine Street Garage or bus downtown and take the Monorail.