Will General Motors rule the world?

paula laflame at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 14 10:58:55 PST 1999

Hey Tom, how does the union feel about GM morphing into a huge Internet/Telecom/Marketing thingy? Not just the satilites, but now Onstar connected cars and online TradeMarket, or some such. The small revenue company they're creating the site with is selling for like, $300/sh. Some how GM hasn't excited the infamous Market yet. Maybe members should maximize any employee stock benefits, eh?

The Onstar site is interesting. They market to the fear and loathing of soccer moms and dads and the renewal rate on the service was a surprise to them. Now they're going all out. They're running the service through General Magic NOC as the VUI(voice user interface)Provider for their internet connection and so forth. Now I see they're going to take over industrial purchasing with Commerce One. Apparently you won't be able to do biz with GM unless you're part of their network so that covers a lot of companies. That seems like a lot of power to not use the word monopoly in the same sentence. But I don't think of any laws that apply.