'Democratic Money' & the Tragedy of Anti-Marxism(wasRe:Populism)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Nov 14 12:33:54 PST 1999

> >* Democratic money boils down to two things: a monetary policy
> > dedicated to tight, near-inflationary labor markets;

DH:
> Then you're talking about changing the balance of class forces
> between K and L. It's cowardly and devious to talk about low interest
> rates and not talk about the real social consequences you're after.
> Central bankers understand this very well, even if their critics
> don't, or pretend not to (like Jamie Galbraith's odd critique of the
> Fed as being "stupid," which it certainly isn't).

mbs: This depends on what you think are "the real social consequences you're after." I'm not after the wholesale nationalization of the commanding heights of industry. So what could I be shrinking from. Jamie is a Fed critic, but I'm not sure he's a populist.

I don't see how democratic money discourse neglects context any more than a marxist would if he/she was talking to ordinary people about politics and trying to start from where his/her audience was.

Corporate power (where corporate is a euphemism for capital, since the point that much business is legally unincorporated is arcane to most people) and the rich are big points of populist discussion. Capital is a little arcane as terminology, but I wouldn't shrink from using it.

> The "near" modifier is interesting. Why not inflationary? Does the
> inflation, or the proximity to inflation, have anything to do with
> the altered balance of class forces?

'Inflationary' leaves too much to the imagination. In more detailed discussions, we usually affirm the sustainability of limited levels of inflation (i.e. up to 5-6%). Presently we have very tight labor markets with much lower inflation. So there's little present need to celebrate the virtues of higher inflation.

DH:
> The problems with "under-served areas" are that public investment is
> too low and with "underserved populations," that their market incomes
> are too low. Lending becomes a substitute for what should be a
> strategy of expropriation.
>
> >* The critique of free trade leads to international labor solidarity
> > on behalf of green & labor standards and national governments'
> > commitment to defend sectors with higher labor standards within
> > their jurisdictions against scab import policies.
>
> What populists are pursuing "international labor solidarity"?

mbs: The AFL-CIO and many folks in Seattle. EPI is organizing with its counterparts in other countries around alternatives to "free trade."