'Democratic Money' & the Tragedy of Anti-Marxism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 15 08:54:37 PST 1999

>Y: . . . It is not by accident that late modern believers in the
>symbolic power (of money, or discourse, or money as discourse),. . .
>
>Looks like your argument is with Doug. You think money
>is only symbolic of material things. Doug thinks that
>money policy is too radical a program.
>
>mbs

No, the other way around. It's populists, such as Goodwyn & Greider, who invest money with symbolic power to change everything. We're saying that, in the absence of change in the relations of production, there is a severe limit to, and a negative feedback (economic and political) from, the loose-money strategy. I'd think you know about this (especially a negative economic feedback) better than I do. You're the one who is paid to analyze the Federal Budget, etc.!

Yoshie