'Democratic Money' & the Tragedy of Anti-Marxism

Ellen Frank frank at emmanuel.edu
Mon Nov 15 12:26:03 PST 1999

>Inflation, which isn't necessarily good for the working class. I've
>had this argument before, but maybe it's time to have it again. As
>far as I can tell, there's no empirical evidence for the populist
>assumption that higher rates of inflation are good for the w.c.

Well, I don't know which "populist assumption" you're referring to, since I'm not sure what populist means these days. But the loose money argument is not so much that inflation is "good" but that deflation and tight money are "bad." There is a difference. Inflation is tolerable, may, with institutional changes to protect wages and minimize conflict, be socially beneficial. The idea of democratic money is that such debates as we are having now should be held in public forums, not in FOMC meetings.

Ellen

PS - And Doug, I apologize for jumping in just to argue with you when we haven't spoken in a while.