guns and nazis (was: White trash)

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Tue Nov 16 07:28:50 PST 1999

(sorry, this is response to Michael Yates, but I messed up the forwarding)

Michael, didn't mean to put words in your mouth. The gun thing always gets to me -- the idea that armed solitaries, or small armed bands of private citizens, can hold off the govt. This is the militia idea, and it's Alex Cockburn's idea too--also Larry Pratt's. Crazy! You did seem to be making that kind of argument when you said your brother would hide you from the Nazis--as we both know, a govt organization -- and that it was good he had a gun and knew how to use it. Wasn't the advantage of the gun in your example supposed to be that it would protect you both from the Nazis? If not, why are you glad that he has a gun?

I agree with your criticism of the Nation. Depressing!

Best, Katha