Clinton

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 16 14:52:57 PST 1999

Jacob Segal wrote:

> Clinton was not insubstantiable the first two years but after
> the collapse of Health Care Reform and the Republican sweep he clearly
> undertakes only that which is politically valuable in the moment. I think
> he had a real program in mind the first two years, but since Novermber 94,
> only opportunism remains

The only part of Clinton's program that he has failed to implement is the destruction of Social Security -- and who knows, he may do it yet. The tasks of the left are hopeless as long as so many people see the enemy as well intentioned but weak.

Incidentally -- on the fuss that is being made over who is worse, Clinton or Reagan: both sides forget that the whole program of Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Gore or Bush is merely dotting the i's and crossing the t's of Carter's administration. He started all of the programs that have since ripened.

Carrol

Carrol