China in WTO

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Tue Nov 16 18:13:09 PST 1999

One thought I keep having in reading the coverage of China's WTO entry is how little the final negotiating issues had to do with *trade* and how much they had to do with *capital mobility*. AT&T's freedom to purchase a 50 percent stake in China's telecom shares does not strike me as a classical instance of comparative advantage at work.

The conventional rap on WTO is that it's a litmus test for one's views on trade: "Hell No, We Won't Trade!" read a typically shoddy US News & World Report headline about the upcoming Seattle protests. That doesn't seem an accurate characterization of the issue at all. (True, FDI is somewhat different than portfolio investment, but the fact remains.)

In fact, the only pure trade issue among the major sticking points seemed to be textiles -- where it was the Americans who wanted protection, not the Chinese!

Isn't even Jagdish Bhagwati ambivalent about the benefits of capital mobility? Not to mention David Ricardo!

Seth