Lessons for India in China, US pact: Experts

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Wed Nov 17 05:27:27 PST 1999

17 November 1999 Lessons for India in China, US pact: Experts By Dilip Rangachari The Times of India News Service NEW DELHI: China's bilateral trade-liberalisation agreement with the US, clearing the major hurdle for its entry into the World Trade Organisation, has lessons for India, note experts. ``It shows how isolated, out-of- touch with the world are Indians who are fighting to keep out of WTO,'' said Congress' economic affairs spokesman Jairam Ramesh. ``Here is a formally Marxist regime which for 13 years has pursued a path, committing itself to a competitive trade regime and has finally committed itself to a series of major liberalising initiatives,'' he said. Professor of development policy at the Delhi School of Economics Suresh Tendulkar said: ``China obviously calculated that the benefits outweigh the problems. On the other hand, Indians are still resisting accepting the WTO discipline.'' Prof Tendulkar said India now had a major competitor in labour- intensive exports, where the former has had a traditional advantage. ``We'll have to gear up,'' he said. While welcoming the agreement between China and US, the Confederation of Indian Industry said: ``We will have to study the particular implications for us.'' Ramesh said it was necessary to recognise the importance of the US. ``Ultimately that country is the one which calls the shots and China recognised this. In fact, in the coming Seattle round of WTO negotiations, we have far more in common with the US than earlier and the four major areas we can focus on are agriculture, information technology, electronic commerce and services.'' Prof Tendulkar said India would have to reduce its labour costs and continuously raise productivity. With China's entry into WTO, there would be no scope for relaxation on these fronts, he said. Commerce and industry minister Murasoli Maran, who is leading the Indian delegation to the Seattle round of WTO talks at the end of this month, began a series of talks with opposition parties on Tuesday to press some of these points home. On Monday, he held talks with Central trade unions. He assured them that there was no question of accepting any linkage between trade liberalisation and changes in labour standards.

For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service
|Disclaimer|

For comments and feedback send Email Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 1999.