A Modest Challenge

Jeffrey St. Clair sitka at home.com
Wed Nov 17 09:03:39 PST 1999

Hello Chip,

I didn't overlook your challenge. I've been away from my computer for the past couple of days--our daughter had been hospitalized (cracked up her car). If I get the time today or tomorrow, I'll try to excavate some of the material Ridgeway and I took with us on our tour of the Interior West in the wake of Oklahoma City.

As I recall, it wasn't so much your "writings" per se that I found "hysterical" (I don't mean to suggest that Jim shared my opinion, I assume he didn't), but a list of groups that ought to be watched and the way that list had percolated up the food chain of liberal groups, mutating in ever-increasing levels of toxicity and hysteria along the way. What I found in interviewing dozens of members (not necessarily leaders, who seem more like Meville's Confidence Man) defied much of the conventional wisdom about them, namely that the organizations were a.) mainly male (unilaterally untrue); b.) mainly white (not true in California or New Mexico); c.) not working class (unilaterally untrue); d. not critics of corporate power (untrue across the board).

I was thinking this morning as I listened to my favorite American band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, sing my favorite American rock song, Am I Right or Am I Wrong, that much of the chest-thumping about the neo-populists is reminiscent of the East Coast hysteria about Skynyrd following the release of "Sweet Home Alabama". "Oh, they must be racists, they're defending Wallace!" Of course, nothing could be further from the truth, they were longhairs who grew up with blacks and got the shit kicked out of them for their appearance and their radical views--including views on gun control that might even win the endorsement of Katha. More later.

JSC

PS--I don't really agree with much in your quoted paragraphs, I'm afraid. I just don't think you can equate the pain, suffering and death caused by "antidemocratic neocapitalism" (what's "new" about it?) and the invasive powers of the police state (we are now trying and convicting 11-year old black boys for murder) to the facist and racist ideology of a few thousand boneheads. I'd advise you to take a trip to northern New Mexico where the Wise-Use/Militia gatherings are populated by 1.) Hispanics; 2.) Catholics; 3.) people who have 150 year old land tenure claims and legitimate grievances about racist treatment by the feds, the mining companies, and, now, welfare ranchers like Ted Turner and Sam Donaldson. Moreover, I'm perhaps too much the follower of Foucault not to be at least a little intrigued about the possibilities of turning off the "light" of the Enlightenment for at least a few seconds--just for the helluva it.