Where the Fascists Are (those darn Democrats)

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Wed Nov 17 10:19:23 PST 1999

you ignore the point of my post, so let me make it more explicit--i think people who concentrate their time, analysis, and watchdoggery on the fringe right while effectively swallowing (or praising with faint damns) the much more consequential fermentation of capital, state, and reactionary working class forces at the bland center of american politics do a fairly serious disservice. and that's not a genteel insult to you; i frankly don't know your work well enough to say whether i'd include you in that class.

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Chip Berlet Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 11:46 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Where the Fascists Are (those darn Democrats)

Hi,

The idea that Buchanan's popularity fell after the speech at the 92 convention is a myth circulated by centrist pundits. Actual statistical work by John C. Green and others show that his speech had little effect on Republican voting patterns, and if anything, there was a short term increase in popularity after the speech.

Not all racism is fascism. If the argument is that neo-liberal coded racism poses a serious threat to democracy, then I would certainly agree.

-Chip Berlet

----- Original Message ----- From: Steve Perry <sperry at usinternet.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 10:25 AM Subject: Re: Where the Fascists Are (those darn Democrats)