irony, etc.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 17 10:34:37 PST 1999

Steve Perry wrote:

>gosh, that's funny--while i agree with you entirely about
>the joyless, unimaginative prose that clogs most left
>publications, i'm inclined to blame it on an excess of
>ironic sensibility (and its longtime companion, paralytic
>cynicism)

We must read different publications. Could you give an example of what you have in mind?

>but then you're a fan of ana marie cox, aren't you?

Ana's a very smart person and a very clever writer. I wouldn't endorse her politics, whatever those are exactly. She once explained her editorial philosophy at Suck.com to me as "we don't like stuff that's stupid," but there's a lot that falls under that category.

Doug