Satanic ritual, second coming, condition of working class

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 17 11:24:03 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >That said, militias and believers
> >in Satanic day care workers _are_ idiotic, in a peculiarly American way.
>
> 44% of Americans surveyed told Pew Center pollsters that Jesus Christ
> will arrive on earth sometime during the 21st century
> <http://www.people-press.org/mill2rpt.htm>. 44% said He wouldn't.

Note on recent accusations of one or another poster "attacking workers." Neither Doug nor Yoshie nor I would say in a public forum which included many of these believers that they were stupid, nor would we in private conversation with them. But in *thinking* about the problems that confront left agitation in the U.S., in describing the reality we live in and must take into account, it is accurate to say that certain beliefs are stupid, and that abstractly the sectors of the population that hold them are in this or that way stupid in respect to this or that issue. None of these statements need be (nor as made on this list are they) statements about the essential nature of workers *or* about the potential, under the right conditions, of workers, including those who believe in satanic rituals or the second coming.

Carrol