Lefebvre on irony

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 17 12:05:09 PST 1999

Doug, what I read in the whole of Lefebvre's piece is an extended chanting of "Thank god that I Lefebvre am not as other men." In other words, I see not self-consciousness or "irony" in his sense but sort of a dour puritanism.

I still say that irony is a weapon to use against others, to consolidate

a rather smug "we" against "them." While I don't doubt, actually, the goodness of Swift's intention, the *effect* from its day of publication of "A Modest Proposal" has been not to aid Irish peasants but to create a fraternity/sorority of "those who know" (those who "get it" in such smug superiority to the great unwashed. And Swift was perhaps the only satirist (at least according to some of his critics) who aimed at his blows striking the reader. All other ironic satirists as well as unsatiric ironists that I know of aim at the creation of this smug society of the intellectual elite. That was certainly the effect aimed at by Plato in the creation of that master ironist, Socrates.

It is also important to recognize that over time just a small proportion

of marxists are intellectuals, or even very skilled readers. The insistence that marxists be ironists is an insistence that marxism should remain the private property of a small intellectual elite.

Carrol