Alex Cockburn writes....

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 17 20:18:05 PST 1999

Steve Perry wrote:

>but doesn't the theoretician to whom you play love-slave
>consider himself a lacanian?

Yes, but a politicized, more-or-less Marxist Lacanian.

Speaking of which, a Zizekian approach to the whole Satanic ritual abuse madness might be very fruitful. It seems to me there's a collective fantasy apparatus at work there, a playing out of anxieties about changed family structures, gender relations, and childcare arrangements, compounded by profound anxieties about the sexuality of children filtered through American piety. It'd be nice if Alex had written a column about that, but we all know that guys with guns are more fun to think about.

Doug