Lefebvre on irony

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Thu Nov 18 04:38:34 PST 1999

freenet has been down for several days, lost some posts I planned to reply to, and I'm using - temporarily, I hope - an unfamiliar writing and editing process (long live basic commands!), but here goes...

> What's the status of anti-Official Marxist irony when there exists no
> Official Marxism to be reckoned with? Where do fellow travellers go when
> they don't have the Party to travel with? Perhaps irony of this sort died
> with the Cold War, but it doesn't know that it is dead! The Night of the
> Living Dead Irony! (An aside to Michael Hoover: How's that for the Florida
> International Film Festival? As good as Pomo Knock-Knock, no?)
> What constitutes irony -- especially the Living Dead Irony -- is its
> inability to write its own epitaph.
> R.I.P.
> Yoshie the Vampire Slayer

Mark Dery on irony: 'Critical distance is had to come by for those of us nursed at the glass teat from earliest infancy. Irony is our birthright: the knowing quotes with which we frame our hit-movie slogans and advertising buzz phrases are our way of distancing our media selves from our true selves (whatever remains of them, that is)... Irony may be a "leaky condom" as a defense against the advertising virus... but it's the only way the generations raised on TV know of preventing themseves from being sucked, *Poltergeist*-like, into the vast wasteland on the other side of screen... So think of postmodern irony as a passive resistance.' (_The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium, p. 58)

But he's being *ironic*, isn't he?

Prompt: Are you sure you want to exit? Me: No Prompt: Excellent!

Michael Hoover