Religion (was Re: women?feminism?)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 18 08:23:41 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> James Farmelant wrote:
>
> > the pomo wing of the intelligentsia
>
> A large wing with many feathers. How would you like it if people
> lumped you with Enver Hoxha just because you're both "Marxists"?

I wouldn't object. In fact I could imagine contexts in which I would group Doug, Jim, and myself all with Hoxha. Marxism is not a religion but a process, a history, and it is absurd to try to rule out parts of that history. Joan Robinson was not afraid to be potentially linkable to Hoxha when she wrote an article on the Chinese-Albanian split entitled "When Friends Fall Out." I don't really know much about either Hoxha or the Albanian revolution -- but to win it more or less on their own as they did suggests that there was something right there.

Carrol