Guns etc

Jeffrey St. Clair sitka at home.com
Thu Nov 18 12:05:58 PST 1999

> jeff, I've held off till now, but this is too much!
> You know perfectly well that you were appalled by that Larry Pratt
> article in Counterpunch and as Webmaster refused to put it on the
> Website.

True. And I know Pratt better than anyone (except maybe Berlet who may've debated him) on this list, because I've actually communicated with the bastard.

> We corresponded about it over the summer, and although we
> disagreed about gun control LAWS, we agreed about guns themselves. You
> wrote "I never owned a gun and never will," you said you had no
> illusions that "we are going to bring about an armed revolution."

I haven't said otherwise on the LBO list, have I?

> You
> said you had worked 20 years ago for the National Coalition to Ban
> Handguns and " at root,share the sentiments."

Yes, but I've evolved in my thinking since I was 20 years old. I no longer think prohibition is a good thing. Start prohibiting "rights" that seem expressly sanctioned by the Constitution and it's that much easier to prohibit "rights" that are not expressly granted, ie., abortion. Prohibition hasn't worked for drugs or alcohol and it won't work for cigarettes or guns.

> You said you were sure if
> you had guns in the house your kids would have found them and come to
> trouble,

*Might* have found them. Remarkably they are pretty smart kids. Some of their friends, however, could be trouble.

> So don't try to pretend you think guns are just good clean american
> manly fun and paint me as some kind of castrating killjoy ("cutting them
> off, so to speak" ha ha). We may disagree about guns in public -- but
> in your real life, your practical life as a human being and a father,
> you have the same fears and perspectives as I do.

We differ on what we would DO about them. Frankly, my biggest fear is my daughter's driving habits.

> ps. you also wrote ""I can't stand NYP myself"! Maybe Alex can quote
> YOU next time he wants to ingratiate himself with Mugger.

I'd be honored. In fact, I'd say it to Mugger's face. (I do like Caldwell's columns, though.)