The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Nov 18 14:18:32 PST 1999

>>"Virgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E. Lee!"

I thought it was "there goes *the* Robert E. Lee," and that the point was that the only thing to make life less boring and drudge-filled was to watch a steamboat going by...

But I am prone to overinterpret song lyrics, having once found a deep meaning in "memory is an elephant, a-playing in the band..." Brad DeLong

Now that you mention it, that was my recollection too.

I just checked and you're right. There are other little mistakes in the lyrics I posted as well, none as serious as confusing the General with the steamboat.

That's the problem with foreign imports.

mbs