affirmative action and labor

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 18 16:00:14 PST 1999

[bounced for an address oddity]

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:30:01 -0600 (CST) From: Jayson P Harsin <jph419 at casbah.acns.nwu.edu>

Rakesh writes:>
> What are we to make of Arthur Fletcher and Nixon's attempt via the
> Philadelphia Plan to challenge the monopolisation of the labor market by
> building trade unions through control of apprenticeship programs (esp.
> electricians, plumbers, carpenters)? Nixon seems to have given up on a
> serious effort but why was he motivated in the first place? Linder raises
> the possibilities: Anti racism (ha!ha!)? To take the attention off racist
> Southern textile companies? To lower wages in the face of labor shortage?
> To split the Democratic constituencies? To try to appear middle of the road
> after his opposition to busing?

How about this? It was a clever strategy to put the affirmative action onus on labor, thus further splitting it, and transferring civil rights attention from government and management/capital to labor itself.

AS for the wider arena of business opening its doors to non-required a.a., there was a decent Harper's survey of this a few years back, which argued that the business world had largely taken on a.a. of its own initiative, to better its p.r. face. I'll look for the cite. best, Jayson