Caution against indiscriminate freeing of farm imports

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Fri Nov 19 02:57:09 PST 1999

Financial Daily from THE HINDU group of publications Sunday, November14,1999 Caution against indiscriminate freeing of farm imports Our Bureau NEW DELHI, Nov. 13 DR. M.S. Swaminathan, agriculture scientist, has warned against indiscriminate liberalisation of farm imports. ``We have to bear in mind the fact that importing food in a predominantly agricultural economy is importing unemployment and social sustainability is as important as environmental sustainability,'' he said at a talk on `Agriculture policy in the first 10 years of the next millennium', organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) here. According to Dr. Swaminathan, the Government should be ``very careful'' with regard to import policy for agricultural commodities and any decision on import liberalisation should be accompanied by a `livelihood impact policy statement' pertaining to the population dependent on the particular commodity. ``Putting milk powder imports at zero duty on the open general licence (OGL) could set a very dangerous trend, especially when Europe and other advanced nations are now saddled with rivers of milk and mountains of butter. The World Trade Organisation (WTO) agreement gives enough scope for various non-tariff barriers keeping in view food security concerns and we should use them for our negotiations,'' he said. While defending a `Swadeshi approach' towards agriculture, Dr. Swaminathan clarified that this did not mean India should not import at all. While expressing concern over the country spending over Rs. 9,000 crores in import of 42 lakh tonnes of edible oils in 1998-99, he acknowledged that this was partly due to the massive growth in domestic consumption level. ``Although this demand is coming from only 10 per cent of the population, it is huge in overall terms. But even here, if imports are inevitable, we have to take care that the domestic oilseed farmers are not adversely affected and our past gains from the Technology Mission on Oilseeds are not reversed,'' he added. And in the case of foodgrains, the Government has to be even more cautious, Dr. Swaminathan warned, while noting that there can be no national sovereignty in a situation of `ship-to-mouth existence'. Dr. Swaminathan was also critical of the Government not framing any comprehensive national policy on agriculture. ``During the colonial period, whatever agriculture policy existed was stimulated by famines, calamities and other immediate short-term development. We seem to have reached a similar policy vacuum now and our whole approach seems to be centered around disaster management and meeting short-term needs through imports, etc. There is no long-term policy aimed at defending the gains already made by the Green Revolution and extending the same to hitherto unreached areas,'' he said. Dr. Swaminathan contrasted this approach with that of China, which had managed to undertake an impressive programme of rural industrialisation involving the movement of over 100 million people from farms to non-farm rural occupations in the last 25 years.

Copyrights © 1999 The Hindu Business Line & Tribeca Internet Initiatives Inc. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu Business Line & Tribeca Internet Initiatives Inc. Copyright © 1999, Tribeca Internet Initiatives Inc. All rights reserved worldwide. Indiaserver is a trademark of Tribeca Internet Initiatives Inc.