WTO forum

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 19 06:45:02 PST 1999

Brad De Long wrote:

>East Asian countries did not "move up the ladder" because the
>multi-fiber agreement restricted their exports. There is a profound
>difference between saying that developing-country growth can be
>aided by infant-industry protection (which is a risky strategy that
>often goes wrong) and implying that first-world limits on imports
>are really good for India.
>
>Seems to me that Mr. Bello is not in the business of deepening the
>knowledge pool...

I think Bello was referring to protectionism as a development strategy - e.g., South Korea's limits on imports and foreign investment. Surely lots can go wrong with infant-industry protection, but it's near-impossible to industrialize without it, isn't it? And doesn't the WTO make that strategy illegal?

Doug