"Real" Privacy

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Fri Nov 19 10:17:16 PST 1999

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Max Sawicky wrote:

> Our network nerd informed us today of
> WinNT Magazine reports that Real Player
> and Real Jukebox both had trojans inserted
> by the company that would transmit back
> to the company the user's download activities
> and other information.
>
> The company has issued patches to remove
> these devices and a bland statement explaining
> their motivations. Their latest version of
> RealPlayer reportedly does not contain the
> trojan.

These people are scum. They have what is rumored to be the largest e-address database in the world (53M last time I saw a count) and they use it to spam you to death, even if you check the box saying you don't want mail from them. They are in my site-wide database of spammers here now so no mail is accepted from any address on their network.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com