Hating Louis Proyect

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Nov 19 10:44:49 PST 1999

I hesitated before writing this, because I know deep down that it will not be well-received. But I am troubled by the way that we on the left hack away at each other. I have communicated with Louis about toning down his ill-advised animosity toward Doug, and I've communicated with Doug about showing more tolerance toward Louis. Louis has his faults. We all do. On the pen-l list, Louis has at times behaved badly, but each time I have pointed anything out to him about such behavior, he has been quick to recognize his faults. Although Doug disputes me on this, I regard Louis is very talented.

Labeling him a cybernut does not seem particularly productive. Similarly, Cockburn has done some very interesting stuff. I agree that he has gone off the deep end at times, but when he is right, he is very, very right. He does have a tendency to stir up disputes with other lefties, which is counter productive.

But there does seem to be a real market such tiffs, judging by the energy that Cockburn has generated here.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901