Religion (was Re: women?feminism?)

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Nov 19 12:39:27 PST 1999

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:55:45 -0500 (EST) Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> writes:

>On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Sam Pawlett wrote:
>
>> I would also add that many PoMos have been influenced by the
>> hermeneutic tradition in German philosophy which started out with
>> Schleimacher and Bultmann as a method for biblical interpretation.
>
>Schleiermacher certainly preceded Heidegger

by at least a century since he was roughly a contemporary of Kant's.

>, and Heidegger draws on
>him
>extensively, but I believe Bultman actually followed Heidegger more
>than
>influenced him.

As I recall Bultman considered himself to be a disciple of Heidegger. The Catholic theologian Karl Rahner was a student of Heidegger.

>Heidegger's religious roots go all the way down to the ground. The
>question of Being is a revival of the central question of medieval
>philosophy: if God is Being -- which they knew by revelation, because
>God
>told them in Exodus 3.14 -- what does that mean and what are the
>consequences, and how can the finite mind possibly grasp such thing?
>See
>Etienne Gilsons's _The Spirit of Mediaeval Philosophy_, pp. 51-59, for
>an
>excellent summary of the medieval project. The parallels to Heidi
>will
>hit you like a damp washcloth.

In theology, Paul Tillich was noteworthy for his conception of God as the Ground of Being. Much of his thinking on this subject was similar to Heidegger's (and no doubt influenced by him too) but without the overlay of reactionary politics since he was a social democrat.

>The holism of continental philosophy can easily be seen as the
>renaissance
>of a medieval holism that can be seen continually bobbing its head up
>from
>beneath the current of Enlightenment philosophy. It's there the
>Cartesian
>proofs of God; in Spinoza's substance, which, as substantia, is really
>closer to Being;

Schleimacher it should be pointed out was very much an admirer of Spinoza.

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.