Anti-semitic, anti-immigrant

Fri Nov 19 13:32:47 PST 1999

Are you sure anti-Semitism is the correct term outside of Europe ? For example, Palestinians are not only Semites, but vicitms of Israeli imperialism. Thus, Palestinian antagonism toward Israelit Jews is not the response of an oppressor group scapegoating an oppressed group, and is fundamentally different than European anti-Semitism.

I don't know the history of Japan or Malaysia, but they do not have the European Inquisition and long history of anti-Semitism as part of theirs. This raises a question as to whether the same term is appropriate.

CB

Katha Pollitt wrote:

>Without Christianity, I don't think anti-semitism would exist.

So why is there anti-Semitism in Japan and Malaysia?

Doug