Anti-semitic, anti-immigrant

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Nov 19 14:40:32 PST 1999

Because the term anti-Semitic originated with an anti-Jewish movement in Germany around the time that scientific racism was flourishing, it has always been problematic. Many writers now use the term "antisemitism" to show recognition that the use of "Semitic" was improper in the first place, but to provide continuity with historic anti-Jewish attitudes.

There are several useful studies on the various different types of antisemitism, including religious, xenophobic, scapegoating, and chimera.

-Chip

----- Original Message ----- From: alessandro coricelli <alessandro.coricelli at rcn.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 5:27 PM Subject: Re: Anti-semitic, anti-immigrant