SZ on antisemitism

kelley oudies at flash.net
Fri Nov 19 22:10:11 PST 1999

>The supplementary
>operation which produces from this bundle a unique, self-identical
>thing is the purely symbolic, tautological gesture of positing these
>external conditions as the conditions-components of the thing and,
>simultaneously, of presupposing the existence of ground which holds
>together this multitude of conditions.

just for fun and frivolity--mentioning folks who rarely get mentioned--let me just refer people to john dewey's _experience and nature_ and various articles by WEB dubois for-- duh-- the same.

Consequently, the function of the fascinating
>presence of the shark is precisely to block any further inquiry into
>the social meaning (social mediation) of those phenomena that arouse
>fear in the common man. To say that the murderous shark "symbolizes"
>the above-mentioned series of fears is to say too much and not enough
>at the same time. It does not symbolize them, since it literally
>annuls them by occupying itself the place of the object of fear.

big fat duh! like why don't we go back and read marx on commodity fetishism. jeezefuckinlouise.

> The act
>of naming is "performative" only and precisely insofar as it is
>always-already part of the definition of the signified content.

gee. how profound. we make history but not in any way we please. is that it?

the rest deleted.

kelley