"Real" Privacy

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Fri Nov 19 23:26:27 PST 1999

> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:17:16 -0600 (CST)
> From: jf noonan <jfn1 at msc.com>

> These people are scum. They have what is rumored to be the
> largest e-address database in the world (53M last time I saw a
> count) and they use it to spam you to death, even if you check
> the box saying you don't want mail from them. They are in my
> site-wide database of spammers here now so no mail is accepted
> from any address on their network.

a short explanation at <http://www.tbtf.com/blog/1999-10-31.html#2>.

it's an excellent example of why it's prudent to:

- provide bogus info when you 'register' 'free' software

- set your browser to reject cookies, and, if some sites

(like the NYT) truly require them, delete the cookie

file on a very regular basis. many cookies set by site

A are accessible from sites B, C, and so on. if you buy

anything online, delete your cookie ASAP, since CC info

can be correlated with cookie info recording your usage

patterns.

- periodically delete (including all associated files) and

reinstall any software that refers to a centralized server,

like RealWhatever.

in the absence of clear business models, a lot of dot-coms are speculating that the data they can amass on specific udage pat- terns is a 'micro-targeted' data-mining goldmine.

> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:25:10 -0500
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

> Weren't the Real people some sort of political "progressives," at
> least at some time, by some definition?

they donated services and cash to radio B92. and, it seems, amassed a very rigorous database of everyone who listened to it.

cheers, t