Proto-fascist structure

Sun Nov 21 09:24:51 PST 1999

>>> "Chip Berlet" <cberlet at igc.org> 11/20/99 09:06PM >>>
Hi,

I challenge your belief in the Christic allegations about FEMA. They were repackaged from the Liberty Lobby Spotlight newspaper and from the LaRouche intelligence network.

((((((((((((

Charles: Now that you remind me, I recall the Miami Herald article as the origin of this story. Are you saying the Miami Herald story was repackaged Right wing ideas ?

Was there or was there not, in your view, a FEMA plan, whether some rightwingers distorted it or not ? If yes, then, the Christic Institute alerted many to investigate it, even if their portrayal was not entirely accurate.

Why is it that the Chrisitic Institute was silenced by the federal court/government , and you were not ? If the Christic Institute was rendering such a disservice to the truth, why was it silenced by that court order, as I recall ?

The LaRouchites also putforth the accusations of CIA trafficking in cocaine. Do you thereby think that claim is false too ?

Unfortunately, the CIA knows that LaRouchites etc. discredit claims for many, so , they could take true claims and publish them through LaRouche to discredit them, as with the CIA cocaine story.

Spy vs Spy is tricky.

((((((((((

Congratulations, you make my point again.

Charles:

Congratulations, what is your point ?

You have a lot of data, but your reasoning is not quite up to snuff. We congratulate you on your empirical work, but your political theory for analyzing it leaves something to be desired.

I pointed out one of the weaknesses in your analysis, lack of a cogent theory of class struggle. I would add that the tone of your comments to me evinces a level of anti-communism. So, not surprisingly your analysis of fascism leaves out or downplays another critical defining charateristic of it: anti-communism. From what I see, you also don't place enough emphasis on the centrality of racism especially in the U.S. context.

Weak class analysis, anti-communism, and weak analysis of racism are rather critical defects in a theory analyzing U.S. potential fascism.

Your responses to my posts demonstrate that you subscribe to a brand of typcial left-liberal , dogmatic anti-communism, including arrogating to yourself intellectual superiority to classic Marxist concepts and analysis, to the extent that you dismiss out of hand my discussion. The is par for the course around here, but again and again it has been demonstrated that classic Marxist concepts and analysis are actually more cogent than all the fancy , new petit bourgeois intellectual fads.

The other point of course is that your anti-communist theory did very little to win the enormous struggle to get rid of real fascism, while , as I said , the Red Army did much more than the Western countries in this task. Actions speak louder than words when it comes to who has the best anti-fascist approach, knows what it is, etc.

Keep up the good work, but work on your political theory a little.

C.Brown