Is Buchanan an antisemite?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 21 09:58:55 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>I move to the D.C. area in 1980. One of the first
>things I noticed and began to follow were the radio
>dialogues between Tom Braden and Buchanan. I've
>been listening and watching Buchanan for 20 years.
>He is a consistent race- and jew-baiter. It isn't
>explicit, but it is consistent.

Two anecdotal examples come to mind. When he was heckled at a speech a few years ago, Buchanan taunted his his antagonists by asking, "Are you from Brandeis?" He could have said Harvard or Smith, but of course he didn't. And when he talks about Wall Street he always says "Goldman Sachs." He could say Morgan Stanley or Merrill Lynch, but of course he doesn't.

I also recall some crack of his about how heartbroken he was to find people playing bongos on the streets of DC, the city he grew up in. Indirect, but it makes his point.

Doug